Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Tavener Quote # 2

Another great quote from The Music of Silence - A Composer's Testament:
I regard metaphysics as a fountainhead through which all music must flow, and I think the key word is 'flow.' As St Irenaeus of Lyons said, 'God will always have something more to teach man, and man will always have something more to learn from God.' I return to the key word, flow. It's not a cerebral process - it's a question of having the humility to leave oneself vulnerable and allow the Spirit to flow through one. If you go back to the great masters, the saints and certain poets like St Simeon the New Theologian, he always received his poetry as pure vision.
I am struggling to figure out how to do this in practice. Maybe "struggling" is my problem. Inspiration must come from God, from opening one's intuition and turning off the internal censor that keeps nagging "It's not good enough!" in the background.

I vow to write at least 25 measures of music between now and the end of the day on Sunday, November 25. Perhaps through a public commitment to my music I can force myself to look in the mirror and overcome my writer's block! Look for a sound clip when I have my 25 measures.

No comments: